I brewed this Hefeweizen a month after the previous batch. I wasn’t thrilled with how Batch 129 came out, so I decided to mail order the grains, hops, and my preferred Hefeweizen yeast (White Labs 351).
Here are the ingredients:
One thing that bugs me about ordering hops online is that most web sites don’t give a precise alpha acid for the hops. I’m used to the Halleterau hops that I use in my Hefeweizen being about 3.8% alpha acid when I previously purchased them at the local homebrew store. These hops arrived and were 2.4% alpha acid! Granted, I ordered the more authentic Hallertau Mittelfruh hops, but I was lucky I held back an ounce from the previous batch of Hefeweizen.
So this batch included the following:
- 5.0 pounds of Pilsner Malt
- 5.0 pounds Wheat Malt
- 1.0 pound Rice Hulls
- 1.0 ounces Hallertau Mittelfruh Hops (2.4%)
- 0.5 ounces Hallertau Hops (3.8%)
- White Labs 351 (Bavarian Weizen Ale yeast)
I decided to cut out the half-pound of Munich Light malt that I had previously used since I could only order in one pound increments and I wasn’t sure when I would next have use of the remaining half pound of malt.
My targets, based on Brew Pal, are:
- Original Gravity: 1.054
- Final Gravity: 1.013
- ABV: 5.3%
- 8 IBU
- 3.5 Lovibond
I was happier with the color of the first runnings during the vorlauf than I was with the previous batch.
I was once more under my targeted original gravity. I was at 1.051 instead of 1.054. But final gravity (1.009) was a bit below the targeted final gravity (1.013), so the beer came out a little higher in alcohol content (5.6%) than the targeted ABV (5.3%).
Overall, I preferred this batch over the previous batch. In fact, I finished the last of the keg of this beer tonight before I started writing this.
I am embarking on another experiment. I harvested the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter from this beer. I didn’t go through extravagant sterilization techniques though. I dropped a mason jar and a pot scraper into my usual sanitizing fluid and stirred things up with enough cold (ha!) tap water to get the yeast in suspension. I crimped some foil around the mouth of the jar and set it in my beer fridge. Two months on, I still haven’t used it, but I’m thinking I’ll through together a Dunkelweizen batch this weekend (and see if the home brew store owner can get the grain bill I give him straight!) and pitch this holdover yeast.