In keeping with a break from making lagers and delving into some British styles, I followed up on the Best Bitter with a 60 Shilling Scottish Ale. This beer was taken directly from the recipe on page 56 of the September 2019 issue of Brew Your Own. Some adjustments were made to the kind of debittered black malt and Belgian candi syrup that I purchased from Atlantic Brew Supply:
- 4 pounds Golden Promise
- 1 pound flaked corn
- 1 pound D-90 Belgian Candi Syrup
- 3 ounces Black Prinz Malt
- 1 ounce of Fuggles hops (5.6% alpha acid)
- 0.3 ounce of Kent Goldings hops (4.7% alpha acid)
- WLP028 Edinburgh Yeast
My targets, based on Brew Pal, are:
- Original Gravity: 1.033
- Final Gravity: 1.009
- ABV: 3.2%
- 21 IBU
- 23 Lovibond
I made some alterations to my normal brewing process for this beer. First, I used a large Brew-in-a-Bag grain bag to line my mash tun above the false bottom. This resolved the problem I was having with the mash tun nozzle clogging at the start of vorlauf. Second, I added the Black Prinz malt to the mash tun at the end of the mash to pull the color but minimize the amount of flavor pulled from the grain. Third, instead of dumping the candi syrup directly into the brew pot and risk it sinking and scorching on my propane burner, I pulled four ladles of wort from the kettle about 25 minutes into the boil and dissolved the candi syrup in a smaller pot. The wort with the dissolved candi syrup was added back to the brew kettle with 15 minutes left in the boil. I timed how long it took for the boil to recommence after adding the dissolved syrup and extended the 60 minute boil by that time.
Using the grain bag to line the mash tun worked great – I had pretty clear runnings after pulling two quarts during the vorlauf.
I was at 1.032 starting gravity prior to beginning fermentation – just a little bit below my target original gravity. After two weeks in primary at 60°, the gravity had only dropped to 1.016 – still a bit away from the targeted final gravity. I transferred the beer to a carboy and left it out in my kitchen overnight to see if fermentation activity would start again. It did, so I put the carboy back in my keg fridge with the temperature raised to 68° to let the fermentation finish. Five days later, I put the carboy into my 36° chest freezer for three more days, at which point and kegged and carbonated the beer. My final gravity of 1.010 was close to my target of 1.009, resulting in the lowest alcohol content beers I have ever made: 2.9% A.B.V.
I was very pleased with how it came out! I am especially pleased with the carbonation. It is a great session beer that was perfect for serving to guests over Christmas.
And for Christmas, my daughters got me a large thistle glass (21 ounces!) that I have been using as I continue to drink this beer – I like it very much and look forward to making it again in the future!