It had been three years since I last made my Kellerbier. I thought that it was time to make it again as a somewhat quick turnaround beer to follow the most recent batch of Kcölsh. It wouldn’t require much lagering, and I don’t have to clear it for serving.
The ingredients were purchased from Atlantic Brew Supply, and included the following:
- 8.0 pounds of Pilsner malt
- 1.0 pounds Muncih Malt (light)
- 4 ounces Aromatic Malt
- 2.0 ounces of Saaz hops (2.8% alpha acid)
- 3.0 ounces of Hallertau Hersbrucker hops (2.2% alpha acid)
- 2 packets SafLager W-34/70 yeast
My targets, based on Brew Pal, are:
- Original Gravity: 1.048
- Final Gravity: 1.011
- ABV: 4.9%
- 38 IBU
- 5.4 Lovibond
The IBU were a little higher this time as I adjusted the amount of Saaz hops due to their lower alpha acid content.
Since I have been having problems with the fine crush of the grains clogging my mash tun spout when I lauter, I decided to wrap the false bottom in my mash tun with a grain bag to see if that eliminated the clogging and cut down on the many small pieces of grain that get pulled through during the vorlauf.
This was a marked improvement that what I had been experiencing.
The brew day was otherwise uneventful, but I went way, way over my target original gravity, getting a reading of 1.056 as I was transferring the wort into the primary fermenter. With a final gravity of 1.012, the beer came in at 5.8 percent ABV instead of the targeted 4.9 percent.
After almost three weeks in primary, the beer was transferred into secondary for two weeks, and kegged and force carbonated.
This was fortunate, because I ran out of Kölsch that night and the Kellerbier was ready to go the next day!