Batch 155 – Konfrontational Kölsch (all grain)

Having the Rauchbier through primary fermentation, it was time to get its successor beer made.  What would be perfect to have ready over the summer?  My Konfrontational Kölsch!

I made a slight adjustment to my recipe since I found that Weyermann is producing a Cologne Malt.  Previous batches used Schill Kölsch malt, but it isn’t clear if that malt is still being produced.  This German Wikipedia article says “The Schill Malz GmbH & Co. KG was disbanded at the end of February 8, 2018,” though it looks like some online retailers are still selling the product.  I ordered the following ingredients from Atlantic Homebrew Supply:

  • 7.0 pounds of Weyermann Cologne Malt (4.5° L)
  • 3 .0 pounds of Best Malz Pilsner Malt (1.9° L)
  • 3.0 ounces Spalt Hops (3.8%)
  • Wyeast 2565 (Kölsch Yeast)
Batch 155 Ingredients

The ingredients for the new batch of Konfrontational Kölsch

Targets for this batch, based on BrewPal were as follows:

  • Original Gravity:  1.052
  • Final Gravity:  1.013
  • 5.2% ABV
  • 5.9ºL
  • 26 IBU

Atlantic Homebrew Supply offers a ‘single’ or ‘double’ crush on the grains ordered.  I opt for the single crush since the spout on my cooler mash tun tends to clog if the grains are ground too fine.  This happened before with grains from Atlantic Homebrew Supply grains, and did again on this batch.

Batch 155 - First runnings of the vourlauf

Once unclogged, lots of small pieces of grain came through the false bottom of the mash tun.

Once I got the clog clear, the vorlauf, lauter, and sparge went smoothly.  I did run out of propane just as the boil was starting, but I keep several spare tanks on hand for just such an event.

I collected about 7½ gallons of wort and boiled down to about five gallons in an hour.  I was pleased with my measured original gravity, which at 1.054 was close to the target original gravity of 1.052.

Batch 155 - Original Gravity

Just a smidgen above the 1.052 target original gravity.

Primary fermentation was about two weeks, and after another month in secondary fermentation, I fined the beer with gelatin to brighten it, kegging and force carbonating it four days later pushing 25 psi while vigorously rolling the keg for 3 minutes.

Initially, I was not pleased with the clarity of the beer.

Batch 155 - early draft after tapping the keg

The day after kegging and carbonating, the beer was no as clear as I’d hoped.

I was beginning to think that maybe I wasn’t doing the gelatin fining properly, but was pretty sure that I did it just like I had on earlier beers that turned out very clear.  But after a month (!) in the keg, it did clear up nicely.

Batch 155 - clarity after a month in the keg

One month later…very clear!!

I’m not sure if I’m transferring too much gelatin into the keg when I package the beer, and wonder if my carbonating method (vigorously rolling the keg while pushing gas at high pressure) keeps the gelatin in suspension and requires more time for it to settle out.

The beer came out great, though!  I really enjoyed it and the keg was out six weeks later!

 

This entry was posted in All-grain Brewing, Carbonating, Gelatin Fining, Homebrewing, Kölsch, Kolsch, Kolsch, Style and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Batch 155 – Konfrontational Kölsch (all grain)

  1. Pingback: Batch 156 – Kellerbier | Daj Mi Pivo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s