Entering Fall of 2017, I had put up two batches of beer for the Oktoberwe’en party and had to decide about putting up a third batch to have on tap. With only a couple weeks left before the party, I had to consider doing something with a quick turnaround. I considered going with the Schwarzeweizen, but decided to do an all-grain version of the last extract and grain recipe I made before taking the all-grain brewing plunge: my Dampfbier recipe.
I had to adjust the previous recipe for all-grain brewing. The revamped recipe included the following ingredients purchased online from Rebel Brewer:
- 7.0 pounds of Swaen Pilsner Malt (1.6°)
- 2.0 pounds Swaen Munich Light Malt (5°)
- 1.0 pond Weyermann Caramunich Malt (39°)
- 1.0 ounce Mt Hood Hops (4.6%)
- 0.5 ounce Hallertau Hops (3.8% alpha acid)
- Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen)
My targets (using BrewPal) were as follows:
- Original Gravity: 1.052
- Final Gravity: 1.013
- 5.1% ABV
- 14 IBU
The wort seemed to be a little on the dark side when I was pulling the runnings during the vorlauf.
The fermentation was a little vigorous, as I have come to expect with Hefeweizen yeast.
This batch’s starting gravity (1.044) was a bit below my target starting gravity of 1.052, but it finished with a final gravity of 1.012, pretty much right at the target final gravity of 1.013.
The beer was kegged, unfiltered, and force carbonated so it was ready to drink that evening and be served the next day at the Oktoberwe-en party.