which is part of this YouTube review of the Hacker-Pschorr Dunkle Weisse that I was aiming for. The last time I made this batch, I ended up with a 8.0 percent beer that looked something like this:
While the beer ended up being excellent, my conclusion at the time was that the homebrew store owner had made a unrepeatable error in putting together the grain bill I had given him. This batch was an experiment to determine if the batch could be repeated or if it was actually my recipe that needs to be tweaked.
As last time, the recipe contained:
- 5.0 pounds of Pilsner Malt
- 5.0 pounds Wheat Malt
- 1.0 pound Rice Hulls
- 0.5 pounds Munich (10°)
- 0.5 pounds CaraMunich (45°)
- 1.5 ounces Chocolate Malt (350°)
- 1.5 ounces Hallertau Hops (3.8%)
Since I wasn’t using the remaining yeast from a hefewizen (on the way via a dunkelweizen to a weizenbock as I had done in previous years), I used fresh yeast. Unfortunately, the local homebrew store did not have any of my preferred White Labs 351 Bavarian Weizen yeast, so I had to substitute White Labs 380 Hefeweizen IV yeast instead.
My targets, as last time, were based on Brew Pal:
- Original Gravity: 1060
- Final Gravity: 1015
- ABV: 5.8%
- 18 IBU
- 10° Lovibond
My starting gravity was a little low at 1058 (instead of 1072 last time!), but I hit the final gravity exactly.
Since I made this batch over Labor Day weekend, I multi-tasked by firing up my smoker while I was brewing.
The dunkel/schwarzeweizen fermented for four weeks when I kegged and carbonated it. Here’s the end result: