In preparation for a small Oktoberfest gathering, I embarked on the annual preparation of the Oktoberfest beer. The first up was the Festbier, which I had previously made as an all-grain batch, and twice as extract and grain batches.
The recipe was the same as the previous all-grain batch, with the exception of my substituting Weyermann Barke Pilsner malt for the usual pilsner malt I would use as a base grain and substituting Hallettau Mittelfruh hops for the usual Hallertau hops I would use. I mail ordered the ingredients, except for the yeast, which was reused from the previous batch that I made two weeks prior and transferred to secondary on this brew day.
The ingredients include:
- 9.5 pounds of Barke Pilsner Malt
- 1.0 pound Cara-Pils Malt
- 1.0 pound Munich Malt (10°)
- 0.5 pounds Honey Malt
- 2.0 ounces Mittelfruh Hops (3.8%)
- 1.0 ounce Saaz Hops (2.6% alpha acid)
I had a mid-July brew day that was largely uneventful. Collecting the wort was a little worrisome because again I’m pulling small pieces of crushed grain through the false bottom and into the brew pot (despite trying to maintain a run off rate of one quart per minute).
Had some good cold break during the wort chilling, too.
The beer was transferred to secondary fermentation three weeks after the brew day and lagered from three months, after which it was filtered, kegged and carbonated.
I used the spun filters for this batch. I’m never quite as satisfied with how clear the beer initially is after carbonation after using this filter.
And this beer never really cleared satisfactorily up until the last draft.
I will have a future post concerning what I’m becoming convinced is a flaw in the cartridge housing. The cartridge filter just doesn’t perform at all well, regardless of the size filter I use or even the permanent stainless steel filter I bought after this.