So about 10 days after brewing the Hefeweizen, it was time to make the next batch for a possible Oktoberfest party. This batch would be a classic Märzen Oktoberfest beer.
My original plan was to brew this in March, but I didn’t get around to it until July. I developed this all-grain based on previous my previous extract and grain recipe that is adapted and modified from the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest clone recipe from page 142 in Beer Captured. This recipe includes:
- 9.5 pounds of Munich Malt (10°)
- 0.5 pound Cara-Pils Malt
- 0.5 pound Cara-Munich Malt
- 2 ounces Aromatic Malt
- 2 ounces Biscuit Malt
- 0.75 ounces Hallertau Hops (3.8%)
- 0.75 ounces Tettnang Hops (6.1% alpha acid)
- 1 packs SafLager W34/70 Yeast
My targets, based on Brew Pal, are:
- Original Gravity: 1055
- Final Gravity: 1012
- ABV: 5.6%
- 25 IBU
- 14.0 Lovibond
I made probably the dumbest mistake out of all the all-grain batches I have brewed so far on this batch. I heated the strike water, put it in my mash tun, doughed in the grain….
…and realized I hadn’t put the false bottom in the mash tun. Later, after I cooled the wort and was taking a gravity reading, I broke my hydrometer.
Yeah, it was that kind of day.
The original gravity came out at 1.052, slightly below the target of 1.055. The final gravity prior to kegging as 1.014, so I was slightly above that, as well. Transferring it to secondary, I was pleased with the color and the taste.