In June 2013, I picked up ingredients to make a lager to serve at our Oktoberfest party.
Except we decided not to have an Oktoberfest party last year.
So the ingredients just sat. And sat. In the meantime, other batches of beer were brewed and consumed. I may have even inadvertently used some of the ingredients in other batches of beer. Who knows?
In any case, eldest daughter came home from her first year of college in May and expressed an interest in homebrewing. So I decided we would use up the ingredients and make a lager. Or maybe a Kellerbier. Or at least
my our version of a Kellerbier.
I am not really set up for cask-aging/serving, so I decided that the Kellerbier would be an unfiltered pale lager.
The recipe included the following ingredients:
- 1.0 pounds Muncih Malt (light)
- 4 ounces Aromatic Malt
- 6.0 pounds of Pilsen Dry Malt Extract
- 2.0 ounces (total) of Saaz hops (3% alpha acid)
- 1.0 ounces of Hallertau hops (3.8% alpha acid)
- 1 packets SafLager W-34/70 yeast
The brewing ingredients:
Eldest daughter was an avid apprentice, though I think she got a little bored. To be honest, it shouldn’t be surprising, because brewing is basically watching a pot boil.
So it fermented. And then it sat. For awhile. Finally, in a rare bit of indoor action, the Kellerbier was transferred from primary to secondary fermentation on June 14, 2014.
I let this beer sit in secondary for over a month. I had the next batch (110 – Hefeweizen) made, kegged and on-tap before this batch.
But when it was ready, it was READY!
Since Kellerbiers are supposed to be unfiltered, I bypassed that step and went straight to kegging and carbonating this batch. This is the result:
A very nice beer!