I went back and reviewed my brewing schedule from 2013 to see what I brewed about that time (my Czech Pilsner and Honey Brown IPA). While both sounded good, I kept thinking about the Dormunder Export I first brewed in November 2012.
This recipe was identical to the previous batch, and included the following ingredients:
- 1.0 pounds Muncih Malt (light)
- 4 ounces Aromatic Malt
- 2 ounces of Honey Malt
- 4 ounces Maltodextrin
- 6.0 pounds of Pilsen Dry Malt Extract
- 4.0 ounces (total) of Saaz hops (3% alpha acid)
- 2 packets SafLager W-34/70 yeast
Here’s the pre-brew picture of the ingredients:
This had a three week primary fermentation before I transferred it to secondary and put it through a diaceytl rest. This is how it looked in the primary fermenter:
When I took the gravity reading, i was really pleased with its color:
I kegged and began to carbonate it on May 1. I always save some of the first beer that comes out through the filter to examine for color and clarity. I taste it, too, but the first runnings pick up the wet paper taste from the filter pads in the plate filter.
The great thing about the carbonating hatch for my kegs is that pretty much in one day I’m drinking my beer!! After a day of some tough yardwork, this is what I enjoyed while I sitting at the end of the driveway.
The filtering and carbonating worked great as it always does, and I have been enjoying this as the 20 days of tolerable spring weather that we get before the four months of mid 90 degree temperatures begins!
But I’m not complaining: I had to put up with *this* several times this winter!!